[Slackbuilds-users] possible submission

Sebastien BALLET slacker6896 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 15:42:40 UTC 2017

​​
​Hello,

old java programs compile and run fine on newer java versions. You just
need to use the right javac options (ie. -source and -bootclasspath) if you
want to recompile old code with a newer compiler.

For instance, if you have a java 6 source code that you want to compile
with java 8, call javac as below :

$ javac -source 1.6 -bootclasspath /path/to/java6/rt.jar /path/to/foo.java

Furthermore, to preserve compatibility with older java runtimes, ​the
​option -target​ must be used with -source and -bootclasspath.

For instance, if you have a java 6 source code that you want to compile
with java 8 and want it to be compatible with the JVM 6, 7 and 8, then,
call javac as below :

$ javac -target 1.6 -source 1.6 -bootclasspath /path/to/java6/rt.jar
/path/to/foo.java

--
SeB