[Slackbuilds-users] Libvirt package - small change to /etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Fri May 5 15:15:05 UTC 2017

> I have a small change to suggest for the /etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt script. The
> script at the moment does a 'virsh shutdown <vm-name>' on all running
> guests, and then, after waiting only 40 seconds, it destroys all guests
> which are still running. I think in most circumstances this is very likely
> to lead to corrupted guests because:
>
> 1. Many guests will take longer than 40 seconds to shutdown, specially if
> they are Windows guests.
> 2. Some Windows guests might be trying to install updates on shutdown, which
> can take 10, 20 or even 60 minutes.
> 3. If there are a number of guests running and the host is busy trying to
> shut them all down at the same time, even Linux guests will still be in the
> process of shutting down after 40 seconds.
> 4. If it is a setup where users connect to guests remotely, it is possible
> that people are in the middle of doing work which would be lost.
>
> Would it maybe be safer to do a 'virsh managedsave <vm-name>' on every
> running guest instead? I can see many advantages to this option, including:

one potential gotcha that I can foresee with this approach might be
that managedsave, creating a RAM image of the virtual machine, will
need an amount of Gb of disk space in /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/save/ the
same size of the RAM used by all the running virtual machines: on my
64 Gb virtualization server I don't have, for example, that amount of
space in the root partition.
I'm just thinking out loud, don't misunderstand me :)

Matteo