[Slackbuilds-users] Tracking version releases

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Fri May 12 05:15:50 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I don't have a huge number of SlackBuilds to maintain but enough that
its easy to lose track of upstream development and know when new
versions have been released. Occasionally I do a find of .info files
containing my name in the SBo file tree and go to each of the relevant
websites looking for new releases. Sometimes a user sends me email about
an update. Some repos can send email notifications, some have RSS feeds
etc., but there doesn't seem to be a consistent mechanism for this sort
of thing. There has to be a better way, so does anyone already have a
better way to keep track before I write something to do it?

Well, before waiting for a reply to that question, I already started
writing a tool of my own to do that. It's not quite complete but close
enough - my 6 SlackBuild updates this week were all due to prompting
while developing/testing/documenting the thing.

The new tool can currently deal with projects at github, sourceforge,
pypi & libreoffice. It's been written to enable new  repo modules to be
added fairly easily. My real question is whether anyone knows of other
repositories that should be included (and preferably have some sort of
API available for access), so that modules for them can be added?

I guess you should still let me know if this has already been done
before I spend too much more time on it.

BTW its at:
    https://github.com/cwilling/pvc

Thanks for any tips, comments,
chris