[Slackbuilds-users] Spamassassin from SBo - broken DNS RBL filtering?

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Wed May 17 14:18:03 UTC 2017

I have been chasing this issue on-and-off for months, and spent a lot of
time the last few days on it. I run several Slackware servers with
Spamassassin on them, and I  noticed a while ago that some don't use DNS
blocklists. This is a very subtle problem, because SpamAssassin is not
showing any errors anywhere, either with debug turned on or using
--lint. Also, the Pyzor, bayes and other filters are so good, that most
email gets filtered correctly anyway - so I didn't realise for a good
while that the dns blocklists weren't being used. Only by running the
same known spam message containing spammy links through SpamAssassin on
both servers I realised that one of them was not using dns rbl's

I am running SA 3.4.1 everywhere on Slackware -current and a Slackware
14.2 (both 32 and 64 bit) - none of these make a difference. I have even
removed all Perl modules (and Perl) and re-installed the latest versions
directly from CPAN. I tried resetting all the SpamAssassin configs to
defaults, and removed all the SA rules and re-run sa-update.

The only thing that has cured it eventually, at the suggestion of
someone on the SpamAssassin mailing list, is manually compiling and
installing SpamAssassin 3.4.1 downloaded directly from apache.org. This
would suggest that the SBo scripts somehow break the dns rbl's
functionality for SpamAssassin - but I'm afraid I have been unable to
determine how.

I'm putting this outthere in case it helps someone - or if somebody has
some idea as to how we can narrow this further. Also maybe others who
have SpamAssassin installed on their system might want to run the above
check and provide some input, it would be really useful.