[Slackbuilds-users] The future of the mpv SlackBuild

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Thu Nov 9 20:47:55 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 17:22:11 CET Andreas Guldstrand wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm the current maintainer of the mpv SlackBuild, and don't worry, I'm
> not about to give it up or anything like that. I am however looking
> for opinions on how to proceed in the future because of a rather
> drastic change in mpv's dependencies.
>
> What has happened is this: mpv has dropped its dependency on ffmpeg,
> and instead depend on a specific mpv fork of ffmpeg that they call
> 'ffmpeg-mpv'. The reasons they've done so are not really relevant for
> this list, so let's not dwell on those (for the curious, you can take
> a look through
> https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/83d44aca7dc7f46b8d3b64d441f5a8317a
> 40e080 ).
>
> The issue I'm facing is how to deal with this change once a new
> version is released.

IMHO, just wait. At this point emotions are high and pretty much anything can
happen going forward.

AFAICS there's no release out yet that would require the fork. But even if
there was, we don't *need* to have the latest version in the repo. Sure, it's
nice, but if upstream throws a tantrum, just give them some time and space to
cool down.

Grs,
Heinz