[Slackbuilds-users] Dependency error for python3-matplotlib

Benjamin Trigona-Harany slackbuilds at jaxartes.net
Sat Nov 18 16:22:27 UTC 2017

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 1:00:40 AM PST Ythogtha wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 	python3-matplotlib lists python-dateutil as requirement, but it needs to
> be python3-dateutil.
> The README tells datetutil and pytz needs to be compiled against python3, so
> I guess dateutil was like pytz and needed to be bluit with PYTHON3=yes, but
> that doesn't seems to be the case anymore.

The confusion may be down to the different ways of doing SlackBuilds for
Python 3 modules. By my count, there are four:

1. Silently install Python 3 support if python/python3 is installed.
2. Install Python 3 support if you pass PYTHON3=yes (or some other option) to
the SlackBuild.
3. Have a separate python3-XYZ SlackBuild.

Personally, I much prefer option 3 since I can then be explicit about what is
installed and what should go in REQUIRES without complicated instructions in
README about dependencies.

Now that Python 3 is in current, however, the next release of Slackware and
its Slackbuilds offers an opportunity. Option 1, previously my least
favourite, is now viable except where a module exists for Python 2 but not 3
(or vice versa) and a few other edge cases (Jupyter kernels is one I know of).

I know we don't like enforcing rules on maintainers, but a friendly
recommendation for Python SlackBuilds would be welcome :)

Ben