[Slackbuilds-users] python3-matplotlib requires pyhon3-dateutil

Serban Udrea serban.udrea at skmail.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Sep 2 07:26:32 UTC 2017

On 09/01/2017 08:32 PM, Daniil Bratashov wrote:
> not a python-dateutil, it is now build without python3 support.
>
> WBR, Daniil Bratashov.

Hi!

I just took a look at the git log and mentioned that the SlackBuilds changed since
I submitted the python3-matplotlib one. At that time I wrote in the README (2nd
Note) that "The python-dateutil and pytz dependencies must be compiled with Python
3 support.". This is still true for pytz but in April a python3-dateutil package
got added and python-dateutil eventually dropped support for python3 (most
probably with the last update in July).

Sorry, but I wasn't aware of this change until now. Thus the list of required
packages for python3-matplotlib has to be corrected accordingly. I'll do this with
the next update.

Actually there seem to be three approaches to python3:

1) SlackBuilds which automatically build a python3 version if one is detected

2) SlackBuilds which need an environment variable to be set for python3 support (I
didn't fully check if the python2 version gets anyway installed or not, but for
some it does)

3) SlackBuilds which have separate versions for python 2 and 3

Moreover, there is at least one pair of SlackBuilds (six and python3-six) which
mix approaches 2 and 3.

As much as I remember there was once a decision in favour of the last approach but
maybe I'm wrong or its implementation is ongoing.

Best regards,

Serban Udrea