[Slackbuilds-users] PyXML

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 17:48:55 UTC 2017

On 9/3/17, Fernando Lopez <fernando.lopezjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I dont see the need to remove packages. the more packages there are in
> sbopkg the better even if outdated. I hate when admins remove packages just
> because "it is not needed by any package" or "outdated" or "it breaks this"
> or that...  just add a note explaining the issue and have the user decide
> if they will use the package or not but dont erase it for the rest of us.
>
> my two cents.

I normally would agree with you. However, PyXML causes actual harm: if
it's installed, it causes random Python scripts to break, if they're
trying to use the XML library that ships with Python itself. It will
create extra *and pointless* work for maintainers. And the functionality
of PyXML became part of core Python itself years ago.

In other words, it conflicts with a package that's in core Slackware,
which is against SBo guidelines. It's installing a 13-year-old outdated
version of a library that's already present in Slackware's python package.

I'm more familiar with Perl than Python, but this happens all the time:
SBo has a Perl module, and in the next release of Slackware, the core
perl package starts including that module. Keeping the old one around
can cause problems with perl scripts.