[Slackbuilds-users] Use ld.gold?

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 21 00:43:18 UTC 2017

Following B Watson's remark in another thread:

> I also went to some trouble with the mame build to reduce the build
> time and amount of memory used, by using the ld.gold linker. qt5 I think
> already does this (autodetects it). LibreOffice might not benefit much
> from it since it's got so much Java code... haven't looked at webkit2gtk,
> maybe it could benefit from this too? (possibly as simple as adding
> LDFLAGS="-fuse-ld=gold" to the make command)

I just tried building LibreOffice with LDFLAGS="-fuse-ld=gold". The
build log notes:
    checking for explicit LDFLAGS... -fuse-ld=gold
but apart from that, there's no indication that ld.gold was used and the
build time was not spectacularly different compared with an otherwise
identical build done on Sep 2 - it's actually somewhat slower with ld.gold.

Sep 2 build:
real    90m51.395s
user    493m40.305s
sys     29m55.917s

Sep 21 build (with ld.gold)
real    92m57.284s
user    498m55.163s
sys     34m4.537s

That's not a great result, high amount of java code notwithstanding.
I'll use the newly built version for a while to look for any runtime
problems and, if there aren't any, I'll add an option to use ld.gold to
the SlackBuild at the next update - it would be interesting to hear of
other results.

chris