[Slackbuilds-users] ganttproject

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Aug 4 13:23:36 UTC 2018

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018, Konrad J Hambrick wrote:

> I didn't know about ganttproject.
> It seems to work fine (<G> but now I need to learn how to use it <G>)

Konrad,

   Slightly off-topic, but others might also be interested in this
information.

   I need a project management tool for a large, complex wetland mitigation
project and looked at what SBo had to offer.

   Ganttproject is good if all you want is to produce a Gantt chart for
display purposes (e.g., in a proposal or report). However, it does not do
all that's needed for project management; e.g., resource leveling and cost
tracking.

   If your need is for project management beyond a Gantt chart, download and
install taskjuggler-3.6.0 from the repository. It's complex, complete, and
powerful. You write text files and the backend compiles them into html files
viewed in a browser. You can use it for Critical Path Modeling (CPM) as well
as Critical Chain Modeling (which uses constraints/pinch points to determine
project duration.) Powerful, complex, and worth the climb up the learning
curve. Best of all, the maintainer (and mail list subscribers ) are great
help in pointing us learners in the right direction.

Rich