[Slackbuilds-users] sage up for grabs UNMAINTAINED

Fellype do Nascimento fellype at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 14:37:11 UTC 2018

On 08/08/2018 05:17 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
> 1. Upstream does not want you to compile as root
> 2. All modules paths are hard coded during compile
> 3. relocatable package impossible? - I can't get it to work
>
> The devs want the end user to compile as user in $HOME, and so seem
> hostile to the idea that anyone might not.  There are scripts etc to try
> to fix the directory paths to relocate the folder tree - they use one
> for the bre-built binary - but I can't get it to work, or generate one
> for Slackware
>
> I give up.  I'm dropping this turd.
Just a tip for anyone interested in take over maintenance for sage:
The AUR guys have made efforts to get the latest version (git) working
on Arch Linux (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sagemath-git/).
Well... there are up to 16 patches applied in order to get sage working :-P
Good look for the next sage maintainer...
> I'm tired of getting (hate)emails.
It's sad to hear this kind of thing.
When a SlackBuild script doesn't work I don't blame its maintainer
because I know that some environmental variables can affect the build
(e.g.: mix SBo packages with software from other 3rdparty repos).

I've never tried to build sage from source because I have an
underpowered machine, and as I would install the sage just out of
curiosity it's not worth the effort.

Best wishes,

--

Dr. Fellype do Nascimento - fellype (at) gmail.com
Center for Semiconductor Components and Nanotechnologies / Laboratório de Plasmas