[Slackbuilds-users] Serious regression on Github archive URLs

David Spencer idlemoor at slackbuilds.org
Sat Aug 18 19:27:50 UTC 2018

> Yeah, the changed URL clearly seen in the user-facing "Releases" page.
> I can confirm that this works:
>
> wget --content-disposition
> https://github.com/geopython/OWSLib/archive/0.16.0.tar.gz
>
> That downloads the following file:
>
> OWSLib-0.16.0.tar.gz

Sorry, Eric and Dugan, but no.

The whole point of using the URLs we have standardised on, and not the
above pattern of URL (which has always been around), is to eliminate the
difference between having content disposition and not having content
disposition.

And it's not just the .info files we would need to modify but also all
the SlackBuild files, to reinstate all the '|| tar xvf $VERSION.tar.gz'
clauses (in their many variants) that we've worked so long to remove.

This is a *regression*.  Github broke it and they need to fix it.

Cheers
-D.