[Slackbuilds-users] Which jack?

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Sat Dec 22 22:51:31 UTC 2018

Hello,

On 22/12/2018 20:54, B Watson wrote:
> On 12/22/18, Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr> wrote:
>
>> I see in  the FAQ:
>> https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/Q_difference_jack1_jack2
>> Programs compiled against Jack 1 will work with Jack 2 without recompile
>> (and vice versa).
>>
>> Do you folks confirm?
>
> That's been my experience. I haven't used jack2 much, but when I tried it,
> the jack1-compiled stuff I tested all worked fine without a recompile.

OK, thanks.

>> If yes, let me rephrase my question: if jack1 or jacjk2 is mentioned as
>> build dependency, can actually use the other?
>>
>> I ask, because as a package provider I'd rather ship jack2.
>> Then I could install jack1 locally to just build the packages that need
>> specifically this one, but I'd prefer to avoid that if I can.
>
> There are only 2 builds that list jack2 as a requirement: MuseScore
> and lives. I just built & ran lives with jack1 and it at least compiles
> and runs (it's a video editor; I didn't actually try to edit any video
> with it). Actually, lives offers several choices for audio playback,
> including both jack and pulseaudio. Seems like jack should be optional,
> not a required dependency, but the maintainer might have a good reason
> for doing it the way it's done...

Thanks for the information. I want to package lives for Slint, but
I also need jack as a dependency of ecasound,that I need as
dependency of dae (Digital Audio Editor) that I have already packaged.

For your information dae is accessible to the blind, unfortunately
it has no public repository yet.

I'd rather package jack2, because according to the docs it's hard to
make jack1 coexist with pulseaudio unless the user has two sound cards,
and easier with jack2 using jackdbus (basically telling pulse to use
jack as default sink when jack2 starts if I understand correctly,
then telling it to use dmix (the default in Slint) when it stops.

I assume I need two functions:
jack_start() {
pactl load-module module-jack-sink
pactl load-module module-jack-source