[Slackbuilds-users] lilo

Ythogtha yth at ythogtha.org
Fri Feb 16 18:18:37 UTC 2018

> hi all, this may be off-topic,  as lilo comes with slackware, but I have
> created a patch to allow lilo to work with nvme disks. I am working on
> patching liloconf  to do the same.there are 2 questions I have, as lilo
> is "no longer developed" - but works just fine - apart from for nvme
> disks :-)
> 1. what is the best way of seeing if patrick is interested in the patch, and
> 2. is anyone interested in testing the patch?
> At the moment I have patched the source for lilo, and after manually
> configuring the lilo.conf it works for me, but I only have 1 nvme disk,
> so am not sure how it presents for multiple nvme "disks".
> a quick
> dd if=/dev/nvme0n1 bs=512 count=1|grep LILO
>   comes up with a match. where previously I had to use sys/extlinux as
> lilo refused to work.
> specifically if someone has more than 1 nvme drive i am interested in
> the output from
> cat /proc/devices
>   and
> cat /proc/partitions
>
> many thanks, Tim

	From what I've read, it seems that Patrick is mostly the de facto
maintainer of lilo because no other distribution seems to really use it anymore.
	This nvme problem is really the only one that had bothered me recently,
and I didn't dig enough to find a solution, but I am very glad that you did ! My
work laptop has an nvme main disk, and I had to put a /boot partition on the
secondary non-nvme disk for lilo to work.

	So, I, for one, would be ok - and happy - to test your patch, although
not on a real 2-nvme system, but on 2 nvme systems ;)

	Maybe, for easy testing purposes, you could create some sort of
lilo-nvme SlackBuild ? I don't know if it is worth it, but it might make for
easier testing.

--
Arnaud <yth at ythogtha.org>