[Slackbuilds-users] Is it worthwhile for a ports like package manager for Slackware

Jheengut Pritvi z.coldplayer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:27:49 UTC 2018

On 19 Feb 2018 12:47 am, "Didier Spaier" <didier at slint.fr> wrote:

Le 18/02/2018 à 21:19, B Watson a écrit :
> On 2/18/18, Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>> When installing software, if a package is available through slapt-get,
>>> it will install it, otherwise it will install it through slapt-src. If
>>> any SlackBuild dependencies are available through slapt-get, it will
>>> install them through slapt-get.
>
> This sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Possibly,indeed, it it's misused.

> SBo packages are tested with
> dependencies from SBo, this thing would install binaries from elsewhere if
> it can find them?

>From elsewhere but not from anywhere.

I did my best to warn at least the Slint users, cf.
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/source/slapt-
get/slapt-getrc.x86_64
which links to:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/source/slapt-
get/README.slaptgetrc.Slint

But have all users read the docs won't happen, I know...

> Right now there's a guy on IRC complaining that alienbob's vlc package
> segfaults, and it turns out to be because he's using SBo's qt5 instead
> of alienbob's. Mixing and matching repos is the cause, in other words.

Yes. Incidentally that's why I ended up including in the Slint repo a
vlc-2.2.8 package built against qt4, using Eric's SlackBuild.

Cheers, Didier

I will look into the slapt-xxx,

Cheers Pritvi