[Slackbuilds-users] Sage build still broken?

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 18:59:25 UTC 2018

---snip----

>    This in a freshly installed 14.2 system, with 24G RAM and 1TB disk
> space. The compilation was completed normally, ending up with 13GB worth
> of files in /tmp/SBo, and more than 5GB in /opt/sage.
>
>    What have I done wrong? If nothing, is there any point in keeping
> Sage in Slackbuilds? Even in a beefy system, compiling Sage takes a
> several hours - and ending up with lots of GBs eaten up in your hard
> drive and a nonfunctional application is frustrating.

I feel your pain, and I do not have a workable solution yet.  Sage
upstream is completely hostile to relocatable packages it seems...  The
core problem is in how the sage devs have designed their build system.

There are 2 options to get sage working:
1. Download their compiled binary and run their script which will patch
the hard coded paths.
2. Compile the sage source in a specific path and leave it there.  You
will note that after running sage.Slackbuild it works just fine when
invoked from /tmp/SBo/sage-8.0
3. Compile the sage source in a specific path (/opt/sage) and package it
from there.
4. Compile the sage source in /tmp/sage-x but have a script to patch the
paths to make the package relocatable.  This is what the devs do for
their binary.

I could just do (1) and forgo compiling.  SBo does that for some, but
that is not optimal. (2) is non-starter: we just can't leave stuff
littering /tmp!  Perhaps (3) in a chroot, etc, but I think (4) is
cleaner if I can ever figure out how the script works in (1).  I'm
missing a path or variable somewhere.

tl;dr

I'm working on it.

-Ed