[Slackbuilds-users] trying to fix sage-8.1 build script - advice needed

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 23:28:20 UTC 2018

On 01/07/2018 02:53 PM, Robby Workman wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 14:13:07 -0800
> King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to upgrade and fix a few issue with the sage build.
>> However, upstream seems to think that no one wants to compile a
>> redistributable install package.  The way sage works is:
>>
>> 1. Download prebuilt binary, extract it somewhere, rename directory if
>> desired, set a few shell variables, symlink, run.  Once run and the
>> binaries patched, you can't move it.
>>
>> 2. Download source, compile somewhere, AND DON'T MOVE IT!
>>
>> In other words, upstream does not support moving to a new directory
>> after compiling.  SAGEROOT seems to get hard coded.  Thus, our normal
>> procedure of building in /tmp/SBo/sage-x.y.z creates binaries that can
>> only be run from /tmp/SBo/sage-x.y.z and moving the tree to /opt/sage
>> results in an error message
>>
>> ERROR: The Sage installation tree has moved
>> from /tmp/SBO/sage-8,1
>>   to /opt/sage
>>
>> stating that you cannot move the compiled tree to a new location -
>> either use prebuilt binaries or recompile.
>>
>> Now, the question is: How does upstream create relocatable binaries?
>> What is the patch process?
>>
>> Otherwise, we will have to compile in /opt/sage and then create a
>> package from that tree location.
>>
>> If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
>> -Ed
>

> If you can figure out where/how it's hardcode, patchelf could
> perhaps fix that.
>
> -RW

There are dozens of files.  the 'sage' start up script refers to a
relocate-once.py that is not included in the source but is included with
the pre-built binaries.  I haven't figured out how to get it to run yet.
It patches a few files then errors out. The search for string of length
"/tmp/SBo/sage-8.1' may be too short to hold the new paths?

(btw, my python-fu is weak...)

-Ed