[Slackbuilds-users] trying to fix sage-8.1 build script - advice needed

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 04:16:23 UTC 2018

On 01/07/2018 05:55 PM, David Melik wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 14:13:07 -0800, King Beowulf wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to upgrade and fix a few issue with the sage build.
>> However, upstream seems to think that no one wants to compile a
>> redistributable install package.
 ...snip---

>> If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
>> -Ed
>
> SAGE really has many issues, and I'd still like to use it, but am
> skeptical whether it's worth anyone making a SlackBuild until the SAGE
> programmers take most users into consideration.

---snip---

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks upstream has been drinking the
wrong cool-aid. 'forking' 'rump' holes....

Compiling and packaging worked before with a bit of gyration, but
upstream changed somnthing, especially with this non-root compile fetish
of theirs.  Now, in the the prebuilt binaries, they have a python script
that will patch all the dozens of hard coded files:

p = SearchAndReplace(ROOT_PATH,
'/mnt/disk/home/buildslave-sage/slave/binary_pkg/build/source/SageMath/jc4b6yulaujayb9sr94ia88eourzeq',
DESTINATION)

Maybe I have to just set SAGEROOT to /tmp/SBo/sage-8.1BLAHBLABLAH.... to
match the number of bytes they use so that the script won't crash.

Or extact and compile in '/opt/sage' and create a package there then
delete, but that might upset some of our more sensitive and pedantic admins!

-Ed