[Slackbuilds-users] MTA used by submission form doesn't use FQDN in HELO

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 17:02:01 UTC 2018

The submission form at SBo does a check on the email address to the
originating MTA when a package is uploaded. However, the MTA used by the
submission form uses just "slackbuilds.org" as HELO name. I know the RFC
only recommends, not requires, a FQDN for smtp HELO names, but the vast
majority of reputable SMTP servers use an FQDN nowadays. So much so
that, as an email server admin, you are pretty safe rejecting
connections presenting any other type of HELO, as they are 99.9% spam
from trojan bots.

I just tried to upload a package update at SBo, and had my email address
rejected, as my own email server, in turn, rejected the connection
attempt from SBo. I temporarily disabled the relevant check in my
config, but would it be possible to reconfigure the MTA at SBo's end at
some point, to present a FQDN, not just "slackbuilds.org"? The mailing
list comes from a different MTA, I presume, as it presents a proper
HELO. Only a suggestion.