[Slackbuilds-users] New layout of https://slackbuilds.org/

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 17:20:46 UTC 2018

On 1/23/18, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca> wrote:
> You are right that turning line feeds into <br /> seems like a bad idea.

The descriptions are plain text, and sometimes have things like bulleted
or numbered lists, done in text.

  - Like this
  - And this

Some of them even have ASCII art... I shot myself in the foot on this
issue with a script that reformatted all the READMEs to make them
"better".

> But why remove the line feeds?  Unless they are in pre-formatted text
> are they not just white-space to HTML?

IIRC, the descriptions used to be inside a <pre> tag.

Now they're not, so there has to be a way to preserve the formatting. What
else is there besides <pre> or adding a <br> at the end of each line?

(That's not a rhetorical question, I haven't paid attention to HTML
standards for the last 15 or so years, so maybe there's a proper solution
I never heard of?)