[Slackbuilds-users] Repology: a way to track potential updates

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 10:20:10 UTC 2018

> <rant>
> Should we say "Thank you!" to a SlackBuild maintainer who provides an
> upgrade to a shared library so that the 172 packages that rely on it are
> now broken?
> </rant>
>
> Yes repology is an useful tool, but blindly upgrade all and every
> SlackBuild wouldn't be a good thing IMO.
>
> Have a good day,
>
> Didier
>
> PS Yes I know, the user has no obligation to apply an update. But not
> all users are aware of the possible consequences of doing that.

I totally agree.

let me say also that the ones who browse repology and then write to
maintainers "your SlackBuilds are outdated!" should take in account
the above: there could be a lot of different reasons why some packages
are not upgraded, not counting the false positives that repology often
list as "upgrades".

Matteo