[Slackbuilds-users] youtube-dl DOWNLOAD= moved ?

Ed Ender skaendo at excite.com
Sat Jul 14 12:58:58 UTC 2018

>What is a "referral link"? Is the link
>https://yt-dl.org/downloads/2018.07.10/youtube-dl-2018.07.10.tar.gz
>bad?

>1. Why the source from upstream is better then the github source
>(discussed above in this thread) if they are identical?

When you click the link:
https://yt-dl.org/downloads/2018.07.10/youtube-dl-2018.07.10.tar.gz
you are not actually downloading anything from "yt-dl.org", but instead
it is referring you to download it from GitHub. That is why they are the
same, because both links download the exact same file from the
exact same place.

>2. Why the SlackBuild uses the link
>http://www.yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl-2018.07.04.tar.gz
>which is obviously valid for the "latest" release only.

It is just for aesthetics really I'm guessing. It's really just up to the
SlackBuild maintainer what link they prefer to use.

-Ed