[Slackbuilds-users] TiMidity++ as daemon, failure to connect to pulseaudio

Rubén Llorente porting at use.startmail.com
Thu Jul 26 01:05:19 UTC 2018

Sorry for the delay in the reply and the upcoming thread mess. GMANE is
being a bit funky with emails.

Kyle Guinn <elyk03-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm listed as maintainer, but I don't think I've ever had a need to
> use it in daemon mode, and all my systems are mostly PulseAudio-free.
> So I'm not in a great position to test this.  If you find a good
> solution, would you like to take over maintenance and submit an
> update?  It's been a while since I've needed to use this program and
> I'm sure the script could use some love.Kyle Guinn

I don't have an actual need of running the software as a system wide
daemon myself either :-) I was just pointing out that, as it is, the
rc script included is not working for as expected.

I'll just set a new Slackware system and test it all out there just
in case, and come back with the results.

Didier Spaier <didier-D9d2vAjzX9c at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have had a similar issue issue with Slint, because we need to start
> the espeakup daemon early in the boot process so that users can have
> speech before logging in, thus this daemon has to be started as
> root. The solution we applied is to use portaudio as audio backend for
> espeakup. portaudio itself relies on alsa, so to avoid that in turn
> alsa
> redirect on pulse we remove from /etc/asound.conf these lines:
> pcm.default pulse
> ctl.default pulse
>
> Conversely we include in /etc/pulse/default.pa these lines:
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
> load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop

I can imagine why that works, but adding it as a default recommendation
may be too strong. I mean, I bet TiMidity++ is not an essential daemon
for most users. I don't think most users are going to change the config
of the default sound architecture of their distribution for running
MIDI's from dosbox...

It makes for awesome advice and a cool README though.

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint:
BB5A C2A2 2CAD ACB7 D50D  C081 1DB9 6FC4 5AB7 92FA