[Slackbuilds-users] Plex version too old

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Thu May 3 20:51:54 UTC 2018

On 5/3/18, JCA <1.41421 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This aside, the other side of the coin is that
> slackbuilds.org packages should result in installed software that works.
>
> Should this not be part of the responsibility of package maintainers?

At the time it was submitted, I bet the package worked fine.

You're right, the maintainer should be updating it. But, this happens all
the time: someone submits a SlackBuild for a piece of software they use,
and then a year or two later, they stop using that software for whatever
reason... or possibly they stop using Slackware and switch to another OS.

If we're very lucky, the maintainer will post a message to this list
saying "I'm giving up my builds, here's a list of them". But all too
often, it happens silently.

The answer is: now that you're using plexmediaserver, you should take
over as maintainer. Try to contact the old maintainer first, either to
get permission or to verify that they're not responding... if you don't
get a response within a few days, post a message to this list announcing
you're taking over as maintainer.

If you're not willing to step up and be a maintainer, it's not very
helpful to say things like this: