[Slackbuilds-users] Plex version too old

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Fri May 4 03:00:23 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018, 3:34 PM JCA <1.41421 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not interested in becoming a package maintainer, in part precisely
> because I am all too aware of what is involved. I am very thankful that
> there are people willing to do so. I am merely pointing out that, if they
> can't or won't do what is concomitant to maintaining a package, they should
> not volunteer - it is obvious that, if the Slackbuilds packages are poorly
> maintained, Slackbuilds loses reliability and credibility.

So, if a maintainer thinks they might not be using Slackware in two years,
they just shouldn't submit a SlackBuild? If they've done the work to
automate a build, why not submit it? Even if it ends up being broken in six
months, that's six months that uses can use and enjoy it. If it breaks,
maybe the maintainer will push a new version, or maybe someone else will
take it over (or maybe the admins will bump the version to get it to work,
but leave the script assigned to the original author until someone else
offers to maintain it).

I'm grateful for any SlackBuilds that are submitted, even if the
maintainers never push another update or they eventually stop using
Slackware and can't maintain it. It gives someone the ability to use that
software as-is. How many people have been able to enjoy plexmediaserver
since it's been available on SBo? How many others have found it isn't
working and did a simple version bump and got it working (like you did)?

Then, when issues are found, if the maintainer doesn't respond, someone
else can take over, just like what happened here.

Is the SBo situation ideal since maintainers can drop off the face of the
planet at any time? Probably not, but if we removed all the software that
was published by one person that never had additional updates pushed, the
repo would probably be a lot smaller.

Jeremy