[Slackbuilds-users] Plex version too old

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 15:35:18 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Alexander Grotewohl <alex at dcclost.com>
wrote:

> A few things:
>
> You say it's trivial, but you don't want to do it yourself.

 Read what I wrote. What is trivial is to come up with the basic
infrastructure for a Slackbuild package. What is not that trivial is to
apply patches (if necessary) to keep track of updates and to make sure that
the installed package works. That's much more laborious and intellectually
demanding than make && make install.

> It's also trivial to make && make install, keep a Changelog for your
> system, etc. But those things are time consuming.. and we're talking
> conveniences.
>
> The belief that Slackbuilds are somehow more reliable is naive. We're
> human, and there can be bugs in the Slackbuilds or the software itself.
> Also, anything with even a modest chain of dependencies must be remembered
> for next time, lest you build everything out of order. (which IIRC software
> like sbopkg will totally do). We kind of signed up for this.

 Indeed. However, we are not talking about bugs here. We are talking about
not doing due diligence when volunteering to maintain a package. Which is
why I do not volunteer to maintain any: because I know that I do not have
what it takes to do a proper job. Many current maintainers are obviously in
the same situation.

> To be honest, even the oldest of Slackbuilds that haven't been touched in
> years often work just fine by swapping the version number in the script and
> downloading a different tarball. Have I benefited from not having to write
> my own Slackbuild scripts because of this fact? Absolutely. Three of the
> Slackbuilds I use often are currently like that, and I'm not gonna say
> which :) Because that's not the point. Are they neglected? Sure. Did they
> help me though? Yep.

That's a fair point. I think that, on the basis of what you have so
accurately described, the Slackbuilds home page should feature a big
warning, advising Slackbuilds users that the hope is that Slackbuilds
packages may be of use, but that no guarantee is made - in particular, that
some packages may not install at all or, if they will, they will not work
properly, or even at all, not because of upstream bugs, but because
Slackbuilds can't guarantee that the packages are being maintained. That's
effectively what is already happening - I think it is fair to make sure
that potential Slackbuilds users are made aware of this fact before they
even try. Not everybody who is trying to use Slackbuilds is an old-timer.
And I think that we all agree that we would like for Slackware and
Slackbuilds to be more and more popular. Well, at least I hope so.

The gist of what I am proposing is to have an inkling of whether a
Slackbuilds package is being well maintained, before finding out so after
having to waste time and effort trying to install and make it it work.
That's all. Like you said, it is possible for a package that has not been
maintained for years to still do the right thing - but it would be nice to
be forewarned.

Alex