[Slackbuilds-users] Problems upgrading ZoneMinder

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Mon May 7 08:42:45 UTC 2018

On 5/6/18, Daniel Prosser <dpross1100 at msn.com> wrote:

> I guess I'm just ignorant, but I have been active on the Slackware forum
> on Linuxquestions.org for a couple years and never remember coming
> across someone named Urchlay. But that aside, I'm not sure why being a
> well-known Slackware user makes him the correct upstream for ZoneMinder.

I'm Urchlay, and I'm nothing special. I offered to host the new ZoneMinder
source for GenoBob, just to help him out.

> Is he a ZoneMinder dev also?

Definitely not. I've never even used ZoneMinder.

The reason for hosting a tarball on my site instead of using upstream's
URL is that the version Bob is packaging only ships as a source RPM, which
contains the source tarball (plus a spec file and whatever else). What
I did is extract and host just the source tarball from the SRPM, so Bob
doesn't have to write code in his SlackBuild to do that part.

> Why does the official upstream still have
> 1.30.4 as the latest stable release? I need a better reason for the
> upgrade than what you have provided, and I'm sure the rest of the
> ZoneMinder users on SBo would appreciate one too. (Please don't get me
> wrong -- I'm very appreciative of your maintainership efforts.)

The later versions come from the (semi?) official Red Hat ZoneMinder repo,
as source RPMs. For whatever reason, the RH RPMs have version numbers
higher than the latest source release. No idea what code changes there
might have been nor whether they're redhat-specific, I just hosted the
tarball GenoBob asked me to (he's maintainer, I figure he knows what
he's doing).