[Slackbuilds-users] Request of Python package maintainers

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon May 14 16:32:37 UTC 2018

   I've learned that many Python packages, even those that are supposed to
support python2 and python3, build and install only for python2. While I
have applications written by others that still depend on python-2.7.x, I'm
now writing using only python3, and getting tools to work has been time
consuming.

   While pylint-1.7.1 is installed here, I discovered that it does not work
on python3 code. Changing /usr/bin/pylint and /usr/bin/pyreverse to invoke
python3 did not fix the problem for two reasons:

   1. Many installed dependencies are found in only
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ and had to be re-built with the 'python
setup.py install ...' line changed to use python3.

   2. Some new dependences popped up, including isort, wrapt, and asteroid.
These, too, needed their SlackBuild scripts modifed to install in
/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ rather than in the 2.7/site-packages/
directory.

   Now pylint and pyreverse work here. Whew!

   My request is to please test your scripts with python-3.6 or later (since
some changes were made in 3.3 and 3.4), or prepare separate python3-*
scripts.

Thanks in advance,

Rich