[Slackbuilds-users] new VLC always crashes

Christoph Willing chris.willing at exemail.com.au
Fri Oct 12 05:26:36 UTC 2018

On 12/10/18 2:40 pm, David Melik wrote:
> after some version of VLC in the last year or so, it always crashes.  I
> did 'sboupgrade -z -f vlc' (rebuild it and all dependencies) and it
> still happens.  It's not an X driver issue as KPlayer and Rosa Player
> work fine (but most other media players, like Xine, MPlayer, Dragon
> Player now also don't.)  Here's the log, but I don't even have any
> Nvidia hardware. I open an .avi or .mp4, then get this sort of crash.
>
> d at 0.cosmos:~$ vlc
> VLC media player 3.0.4 Vetinari (revision 3.0.4-0-gf615db6332)
> [0000000001277a10] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface.
> Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
> QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-d'
> [0000000001309560] main playlist: playlist is empty
> Non-native QFileDialog supports only local files
> Non-native QFileDialog supports only local files
> Non-native QFileDialog supports only local files
> libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
> Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
> libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
> Illegal instruction

I googled for:
vlc Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

which turned up a bunch of similar problems  and some solutions (not all
vlc related). I can't tell which of them may relate to your situation,
so won't try to summarise all the possibilities here but suggest, if you
haven't already,  you do the same search and try some of the suggested
solutions.

chris