[Slackbuilds-users] six and python3-six

Benjamin Trigona-Harany slackbuilds at jaxartes.net
Mon Oct 29 16:52:53 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-29 5:44 a.m., Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2018, B Watson wrote:
>
>> Do we need separate six and python3-six builds?
>
>> Right now, six will build & install python3 support if python3 is
>> installed on the build box. python3-six is identical, except (a) it
>> requires python3 in the .info file and (b) it builds only the python3
>> stuff.
>
>    I'm a Python end-user and support the idea of having one build that
> supports both Python2 and Python3. All my new code is Python3 but many
> applications remain bound to Python2. It will take a while for everyone to
> migrate to Python3.

For what it's worth, when 15.0 is released, I strongly advocate that
Python SlackBuilds cover both Python 2 and 3 together in the same script
- just like Pat is doing on current now. Yes, there are few cases where
this won't be possible due to incompatibilities (for example IPython
needs different versions for Python 2 and Python 3), but those are
exceptions.

For 14.2, there are several approaches being taken depending on the
script maintainer, including various types of support for Python 3 in a
Python 2 build script or having two scripts, one each for 2 and 3. My
opinion is that we probably don't want to rock the boat too much during
14.2's lifetime but when we do switch to 15.0, I expect to see quite a
bit of change in the Python SlackBuilds landscape.

That being said, I have added *mandatory* Python 3 support to a few of
my SlackBuild scripts to gauge whether it might make sense to start the
conversion earlier (e.g.
https://git.slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/commit/?id=1ffc4da77ce21b851bb6dbb8fe01638a8b8d411b).

So far no complaints. It's 2018 ... who still objects to having Python 3
installed?