[Slackbuilds-users] six and python3-six

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:54:20 UTC 2018

On 30/10/2018 17:59, Benjamin Trigona-Harany wrote:
> On 2018-10-30 10:57 a.m., Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
>>
>> We have both python2 and python3 versions of six in a single package
>> in -
>> current and it works just fine. I don't see why the package would
>> need to be
>> treated differently from other python libs. What am I missing here?
>>
>> Grs,
>> Heinz
>
> I don't think you are missing anything. As long as the *version* of a
> Python module is the same for Python 2 and Python 3, then it makes
> sense to have them in a single package or SlackBuild. As I mentioned
> in my other email, there are rare cases where this isn't possible:
> IPython won't go above 5.x for Python 2 but is on 7.x for Python 3.
>
> Otherwise, keeping them together is usually the way to go.
>
> Ben

there seems to be a variation  of support in the python scripts. Having
the script produce both pthon2 and python3 files would be useful. I am
in the process of updating thonny ( a python ide) which has new deps,
and pyserial is an example where it only does python2. Repeating the
python setup.py install --root=$PKG in the slackbuild
but changing python to python3 fixes that, but I created a separate
slackbuild,(not yet submitted) because most of the python packages I
have seen so fave have two separate packages, a pkgname and a
python3-pkgname.

Should I make new python packages create both sets of files, or create
separate python2 and python3 packages ?
(i'm working on mypy and mypy_extensions at the moment)
regards, Tim