[Slackbuilds-users] Xerox printer driver: deb or rpm for conversion?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 3 22:45:35 UTC 2018

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018, B Watson wrote:

> I'm assuming your end goal is to create a SlackBuild for the driver, and
> submit it to SBo...

   Actually, my end goal is to have a working printer that will function with
non-Dell replacement toner cartridges. Since the CUPS driver can work as a
.rpm (using the Slackware implementation) or be converted there's no need to
build a specific SBo package.

> ... (also, deb2tgz doesn't ship with Slackware, if that matters to you).

   True. rpm2tgz is a core Slackware package, and deb2tgz is a
SlackBuilds.org package:

$ locate deb2tgz
/var/lib/sbopkg/SBo/14.2/misc/deb2tgz
/var/lib/sbopkg/SBo/14.2/misc/deb2tgz/README
/var/lib/sbopkg/SBo/14.2/misc/deb2tgz/deb2tgz.info
/var/lib/sbopkg/SBo/14.2/misc/deb2tgz/slack-desc
/var/lib/sbopkg/SBo/14.2/misc/deb2tgz/deb2tgz.SlackBuild
/var/lib/sbopkg/SBo/14.2/misc/deb2tgz.tar.gz.asc
/var/lib/sbopkg/SBo/14.2/misc/deb2tgz.tar.gz

   I interpret your response that there's fundamentally no difference between
either source format being converted to .tgz.

Thanks very much!

Rich