[Slackbuilds-users] Merging python / python3 packages

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:03:54 UTC 2019

Il giorno mar 19 feb 2019 alle ore 11:32 Ed Ender <skaendo at excite.com>
ha scritto:
> From: "Matteo Bernardini" [matteo.bernardini at gmail.com]
> Date: 02/19/2019 04:15 AM
> To: "SlackBuilds.org Users List" <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>
> Subject: Re: [Slackbuilds-users] Merging python / python3 packages
>
> >IMHO, I think unfortunately this won't be possible completely as lots
> >of stuff will still be python-2.x only also in jan 2020, but at least
> >this won't be a distro-specific issue and, who knows, maybe someone
> >interested in the meantime might step in for support...
>
> >Matteo
>
> I completely agree that it will not be possible to completely move away from
> python 2 immediately, but I think that what can be built with python 3 should
> be, and drop any python 2 packages that are no longer needed.
>
> I don't think that it is such a good idea to merge python2/3 packages if
> python2 is not going to be maintained, and the python2 packages are no longer
> needed.
>
> I guess that I'm just trying to look to the future and not make/have a huge
> clusterfuck to deal with later.

still IMHO, we better follow what upstream, in this case Slackware,
decides to do: if Pat will ship the python-2.x interpreter (the one
that will supposedly won't be maintained anymore in 2020) in the next
Slackware, on SBo we should ship the python modules for that (that,
BTW, are maintained by different people with maybe differents
agendas).

Matteo