[Slackbuilds-users] Newsbeuter and Newsboat

Benjamin Trigona-Harany slackbuilds at jaxartes.net
Wed Jan 2 04:24:04 UTC 2019

Hello users of Newsbeuter, the first half of this email is for your eyes only.
Everyone else may skip to the third paragraph.

If you are using Newsbeuter, I strongly recommend that you migrate over to the
Newsboat fork (https://newsboat.org) as soon as possible. Newsbeuter is
unmaintained and there is at least one remote execution vulnerability, which
was fixed in Newsboat. I will be having Newsbeuter removed from the SBo
repository soon so now you have two reasons to migrate.

For Newsboat users, there is a new version out 2.14 that introduces a Rust
dependency, but there's probably not going to be a SlackBuild update for a
while yet because some fairly major reworking is needed to ensure that it
builds without an internet connection. There are 20-odd new source files that
will need downloading and integrating into the script so it's a non-trivial
amount of work.

Which leads me to my question: does anyone want to take over as the Newsboat
maintainer? Apply only if you are actually planning to version bump the script
to the latest release with full Rust support. Simply making yourself
maintainer of the existing 2.13 won't cut it; you become maintainer with 2.14
or not at all :)

Ben