[Slackbuilds-users] Newsbeuter and Newsboat

Benjamin Trigona-Harany slackbuilds at jaxartes.net
Thu Jan 3 02:52:35 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 18:09:01 PST Dave Woodfall wrote:
> On Tuesday 1 January 2019 20:24,
>
> Benjamin Trigona-Harany <slackbuilds at jaxartes.net> put forth the
proposition:
> > Hello users of Newsbeuter, the first half of this email is for your eyes
> > only. Everyone else may skip to the third paragraph.
>
> I use newsbuter and found that debian have 23 patches in all for
> version 2.9.5:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/source/stable/newsbeuter
>
> 2.9.8 has 25:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/source/testing/newsbeuter
>
> Couldn't we use these rather than mess about with rust?

My existing Newsbeuter SlackBuild should have all the same security patches as
Debian. Those patches were all contributed by Alexander, the current
maintainer of Newsboat, back when he was working on Newsbeuter. Unfortunately,
he was not given the required permissions to properly release a new version
with his fixes and made the decision to fork the project instead (it was all
on the Newsbeuter maillist a couple of years ago).

I doubt that you'll see any further security patches for Newsbeuter from him
or anyone else; the community has moved on to Newsboat, whose only flaw seems
to be its objectively worse name.

Incidentally, there's also no pressing need to move to Newsboat 2.14 and its
new Rust dependency. I'm just opening the door a crack in case there's someone
who wants to make it happen sooner than later.

Ben