[Slackbuilds-users] opencv-legacy issue

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Thu Mar 7 22:32:50 UTC 2019

On 8/3/19 3:23 am, Tim Dickson via SlackBuilds-users wrote:

> On 07/03/2019 07:31, Christoph Willing wrote:
>> On 7/3/19 6:15 am, Tim Dickson via SlackBuilds-users wrote:
>>> since updating python to 3.7.2 opencv-legacy fails to build with ..
>>>
>>> [ 85%] Generating pyopencv_generated_include.h,
>>> pyopencv_generated_funcs.h, pyopencv_generated_types.h,
>>> pyopencv_generated_type_reg.h, pyopencv_generated_ns_reg.h
>>> cd /tmp/SBo/opencv-3.1.0/build/modules/python3 && /usr/bin/python3
>>> /tmp/SBo/opencv-3.1.0/modules/python/python3/..//src2/gen2.py
>>> /tmp/SBo/opencv-3.1.0/build/modules/python3
>>> /tmp/SBo/opencv-3.1.0/build/modules/python3/headers.txt
>>> Note: Class l has more than 1 base class (not supported by Python C
>>> extensions)
>>>        Bases:  cv::a, cv::s, cv::s, cv::A, cv::l, cv::g, cv::o, cv::r,
>>> cv::i, cv::t, cv::h, cv::m
>>>        Only the first base class will be used
>>> Note: Class l has more than 1 base class (not supported by Python C
>>> extensions)
>>>        Bases:  cv::a, cv::s, cv::s, cv::F, cv::i, cv::l, cv::e, cv::S,
>>> cv::t, cv::o, cv::r, cv::a, cv::g, cv::e
>>>        Only the first base class will be used
>>> Generator error: class l (cname=cv::l) already exists
>>> modules/python3/CMakeFiles/opencv_python3.dir/build.make:276: recipe for
>>> target 'modules/python3/pyopencv_generated_include.h' failed
>>> make[2]: *** [modules/python3/pyopencv_generated_include.h] Error 255
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/SBo/opencv-3.1.0/build'
>>> CMakeFiles/Makefile2:14021: recipe for target
>>> 'modules/python3/CMakeFiles/opencv_python3.dir/all' failed
>>> make[1]: *** [modules/python3/CMakeFiles/opencv_python3.dir/all] Error 2
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/SBo/opencv-3.1.0/build'
>>> Makefile:160: recipe for target 'all' failed
>>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>>
>>> I've checked, and made sure  opencv-legacy was not previously installed
>>> when trying to recreate the package.
>>> any ideas?
>> It seems python3-3.7.2 is necessary but not sufficient by itself to
>> trigger this fault. It's actually the presence of the optional numpy3
>> (which requires python3) during configuration that enables building of
>> the python3 wrappers, generating the error above during compilation.
>>
>> The simplest fix is to remove numpy3 from the system. Even with python3
>> still installed (perhaps needed for other packages), the python3
>> wrappers will not be generated if numpy is not available during
>> configuration.
>>
>> This strategy allows opencv-legacy to build to completion but, of course
>> without python3 wrappings. Is that a bit deal? Maybe but mitigated by:
>>      1. possible use of python2 wrappings instead by installing numpy
>> (not numpy3) which will use built in python2 to generate python2
>> wrappings.
>>      2. initially, the only reason for having the opencv-legacy
>> SlackBuild at all was to satisfy building a particular version of
>> libkface which was required, in turn, for a particular version of
>> digikam. AFAIK the python3 wrappings are not needed for this use case.
>>
>> Serious opencv users that may want the python3 bindings won't be using
>> opencv-legacy anyway; rather the main opencv. The building of the main
>> opencv package doesn't suffer this python3/numpy3 problem so I'm
>> prepared to leave things as they are for opencv-legacy. Of course, if
>> someone wants to research a fix, I'll happily apply it.
>>
>> chris
>>
> I use it for frei0r (an ffmpeg optional dep), and vsxu (a vlc optional
> dep), and vlc (a direct optional dep)

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I only took hard deps into account;
various optional deps will increase the range of use cases. However in
these cases, I  don't believe that it (opencv-legacy) needs to be built
with python3 bindings so this python3/numpy3 issue doesn't affect your
particular use case.

> vlc fails to build (with the opencv option) with opencv (as opposed to
> opencv-legacy )>
That's not quite right; the build log for vlc on my desktop machine
shows that plain opencv is available during the build but not recognised
and therefore not used (source file
modules/video_filter/opencv_wrapper.c is not compiled). However the
build itself runs fine, as does the resulting vlc executable.

chris