[Slackbuilds-users] SOHO backup choices

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 11 17:27:39 UTC 2019

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019, Richard Ellis via SlackBuilds-users wrote:

> Myself, I've been using rsnapshot (https://rsnapshot.org/) for several
> years. I'm also experimenting with restic (https://restic.net/) as a
> potential replacement for the rsnapshot setup and have migrated a hosted
> VM to restic already. If you are considering Borg (previously Attic) then
> you might also want to evaluate Restic as well.

Richard,

Thanks for your insights. After looking at several backup applications I
decided to stick with dirvish (which is based on rsync). I've used it for
about a decade with no problems. It does not need a password or encryption,
and stores daily incrmental backups from cron. Just because it's old doesn't
mean it's outdated or lacking features I need. The time I spent, and the
great comments I received from the list, has been valuable. Now I have a
better understanding of the range of backup software currently available and
have learned that most have capabilities far beyond my modest needs.

Best regards,

Rich