[Slackbuilds-users] SOHO backup choices

Richard Ellis rellis at dp100.com
Thu Sep 12 16:52:47 UTC 2019

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 07:37:11AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>* On 2019 11 Sep 12:14 -0500, Richard Ellis via SlackBuilds-users wrote:
>> Myself, I've been using rsnapshot (https://rsnapshot.org/) for several
>> years.
>
>I too have used rsnapshot for a long time on both Debian and Slackware.
>I'd like to be able to backup certain data offsite, with an AWS instance
>or some such.  I'm not sure that rsnapshot is really a good tool for
>that, anyone have a suggestion?

By itself, rsnapshot will only backup to a location to which you can
rsync data, so it is not directly a tool for 'offsite' when 'offsite'
means AWS or B2 or ??.

>It seems as though something that would encrypt locally before the
>transfer would be ideal or, if I trust the remote host, uses an SSH
>tunnel for the transfer.

Restic will backup to offsite locations (where offsite means 'cloud
storage').  It has several built in backends for the bigger names and
can also use rclone as a backend to allow backup to any cloud storage
that rclone can talk to.  And restic does local encryption plus
deduplication.