[Slackbuilds-users] intel-microcode

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:20:04 UTC 2020

On 4/1/20 11:17 AM, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:

>> But I agree, cc:ing the maintainer seems like a good idea.
>>

> Indeed. :-D
>
> I'll take a look as soon as I can.

I've noted that newer microcodes do not have support for older intel
CPUs.  For example, I'm still using 'microcode-20180807' for my i7-6850K
on both 14.2 and current.  Newer microcodes don't appear to have any
updates (dropped ?) and MSI (motherboard) also has not updated the
microcode since 2018-06-19.  When last I attempted a newer 2019
microcode release, checking the boot log showed that the latest
microcode was NOT updated. I've looked at Intel's changelogs, but it
isn't clear when they dropped support.  The i7-6850K is listed as
discontinued on ark.intel.com

TL;DR:
An update may not be useful to those with older intel CPUS.  Perhaps a
note in the README?

-Ed