[Slackbuilds-users] hope this isn't a stupid question

Richard Ellis rellis at dp100.com
Wed Apr 8 14:01:44 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 09:43:27AM -0400, Glenn Becker wrote:
>And I was wondering ...  if I ran slack-current as my main system, but
>ran slack-stable in a VM, could I use the latter to work on my
>SlackBuilds?

Yes.  The VM is essentially a second, independnent, machine.

I do this myself when I update my Slackbuilds to verify that they work
in a plain Slackware install.  Whip up a VM (VirtualBox), install 14.2
with "install all", then verify that the script builds and runs.  That
way I can verify that they work in a plain Slackware install with
nothing else added, and I can verify exactly what other dependencies
they *really* need.

I have enough slackbuilds installed on my regular system that it would
be easy to miss a dependency because I'd already installed that package
for some other reason.

You can still do the main work on your regular system (where all your
config and editor choices will already be available and setup to your
liking) then test in the 'plain vanilla Slackware' VM at the end to
verify that no problems exist.