[Slackbuilds-users] 32-bit programs, required to maintain?

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 18:47:14 UTC 2020

On 4/16/20, Andrew Payne <phalange at komputermatrix.com> wrote:
> Poor wording on my part, rephrase:
>
> When I create a slackbuild for an app that has both 64-bit and 32-bit
> versions, is it required that I provide links to the 32-bit version in the
> .info file, and include the code to install it in the .SlackBuild?

"Has both 64-bit and 32-bit versions" means the download site has
separate downloads? In that case, yes, you should include both in the
.info file, and the script should handle either (examine the ARCH variable
as needed, etc).

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it's *required*, but it's
polite at least.

> I ask because I have't run 32-bit for years and it's difficult to
> meaningfully test it.

If you really want to test it, you could use VM software like qemu or
virtualbox, install 32-bit Slackware in a virtual machine.

If you don't have the time/energy/etc to do the testing, you might find
someone on the mailing list who does run 32-bit, and is interested in
using your application, who wouldn't mind testing it on 32-bit for you.

Or, you might punt: in your README put something like "The author has
not tested the 32-bit version of this software. Please send mail if you
run into problems on 32-bit". Then be willing to work with whoever does
send you mail about it (if it ever happens).