[Slackbuilds-users] Problem building Qt5

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Sun Apr 19 20:13:22 UTC 2020

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 12:16 (-0700), Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Apr 2020, B Watson wrote:

>> That looks like it was a huge link. Taking more than an hour is normal,
>> especially if it's having to use swap.

> B.

> I've 32G memory here and little else running.

>> Before you killed it, did you check CPU usage (e.g. with "top")? It
>> should have been pegging one core at 100%.

> Yes, I looked at top and didn't see sbopkg or any process that looked
> relevant in the half-minute or so I watched; didn't specifically look for
> memory use.

>> More patience. And/or more RAM, if you can.

> Okay.

> I've put off replacing the 32G RAM with 64G because I'm focused on
> developing more business (despite the pandemic and economic shutdown). 32G
> should be enough.

For what it's worth... I'm compiling it right now on an Intel(R)
Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v5 @ 3.60GHz system (4 hyperthreaded cores) with
16 GB of RAM.  It has finally gotten to the ld stage, and so far it
has used 25 minutes of CPU time, and has a RRS of 1701376 (so less
than 2 GB).  So I doubt you really need more than 32 GB of RAM, unless
you have some major memory hogs on your system.

[[ It is taking me a long time to get this email out, and in the
interim ld finished.  At the end it used 35:20 of CPU time and its RSS
was 1830832. ]]

Dave (assuming you are reading this!), in the past I have edited the
qt5 slackbuild to allow multiple jobs and there were no problems.
Some slackbuilds have code like
        NUMJOBS=${NUMJOBS:--j7}
        make $NUMJOBS

Even if you want to make the default to be '-j1', would you consider
adding something along these lines?  Or as below...

While I see varying reports on the success of using MAKEFLAGS, and
maybe I should have tried that, I use sbotools to build slackbuilds,
and have JOBS=8 in my /etc/sbotools/sbotools.conf, but that had no
effect with the building of qt5 (all the individual files were
compiled separately).  I am not sure what is considered to be the One
True Way of setting make flags for slackbuilds, but one might boldly
assume whatever sbotools does is a likely candidate.

Cheers.
                                Jim