[Slackbuilds-users] /usr/include/python3.7 or 3.7m ?

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Fri Apr 24 08:39:25 UTC 2020

At the moment, SBo builds of python3 on both my daily machine and a
clean VM result in the include files being placed into
/usr/include/python3.7m (rather than a plain /usr/include/python3.7).

Apparently the different paths signified use (or non-use) of an internal
memory allocator which is on by default but controllable using the
--with(out)-pymalloc configure option when building python3. I've tested
this and the --without-pymalloc does result in /usr/include/pyton3.7
(not python3.7m).

BTW this behaviour has changed in 3.8 where everything goes into
/usr/include/pyton3.8 (see -current, also see
https://bugs.python.org/issue36707).

Before proceeding here with a complaint about other packages wrongly
hard coding  python-related .h files into /usr/include/python3.7, rather
than python3.7m, could people first confirm that their python3
installation is using /usr/include/python3.7m, as mine does, please?

Thanks,
chris