[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20201206.1

Luiz Carlos Ramos lramos.prof at yahoo.com.br
Mon Dec 7 11:53:33 UTC 2020

Hello, Barry,

just out of curiosity, in your system, if you type javac -version, what
do you get?

In my system, it gave me things like:

  javac 1.7.0_281

or for the java runtime:

  java version "1.7.0_281"
  OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.24) (Slackware)

I traced these packages and in fact they belong to an OpenJDK (from
Alien's repository) which obviously is not in the stock Slackware
install.

Anyway, in the build process some Java code was processed and it has
code constructions which are not supported in Java 1.7.

Now I feel that if the system has no Java installed at all, maybe the
build process skips all these Java thing. To verify this, I would take
some time to do it; so I won't try.

At the INSTALL.txt, it is stated that Java is needed only to build "Java
bindings". This may give some support to my "feeling" stated above.

A more simpler test would be setting a system with Java 1.7 compiler
(this is easy to do, setting the PATH environment variable accordingly)
and trying to rebuild the package. It hopefully would give errors such
the ones I saw here.

Many thanks!

Luiz