[Slackbuilds-users] JabRef-5.x

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 24 16:40:07 UTC 2020

Mario, et al.:

SBo has version 2.9.2 of JabRef (the bibliographic reference database
management system) which is so far past its best-used-by date that it has
mold on it. :-)

Because even the devs were getting torqued by Oracle's Java versions they
put a java version in the distributed JabRef5 so there's no longer a need to
install any version of JDK for JabRef.

The web site, www.jabref.org, has snapshots available for JabRef-5.0, the
development version. I found a bug in the previous snapshot and made the
devs aware of it. Today's snapshot fixes that bug. I've two recommendations
to offer:

1) Remove JabRef from SBo because untarring the latest (2020-02-24)
*portable_linux.tar.gz in /opt (or /usr/local if you prefer) installs
JabRef/ with two subdirectories: bin/ and lib/. The bin/ subdirectory has an
executable JabRef* which invokes the application. (I do so with a shell
script.)

2) Update the SBo version to today's snapshot and remove the JDK
requirement.

Now JabRef5 works with Slackware-14.2/x86_64 (probably the 32-bit version,
too) and I can get rid of kbibtex.

Regards,

Rich