[Slackbuilds-users] SBo service migration #1 complete

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Thu Jul 2 13:06:50 UTC 2020

TLDR: Migration #1 complete

Pardon the temporary interruption of SBo services over the past
couple of days; due to impending closure of the data center in
which we are hosted (goodbye, onyxlight - y'all are awesome),
we have purchased a temporary dedicated server at another
facility and have migrated git.slackbuilds.org, www.slackbuilds.org,
dance.slackbuilds.org (DNS slave), and slackwiki.com to it.
There will be another migration as soon as our physical hardware
is shipped to the new place and is set up, but we'll try to do
better about notification when that happens.

As an aside, we were fortunate to have Onyxlight provide free
colocation services for all these years, but our new location
will not be free. We are investigating options for collecting
needed funds for hosting (about $1500 per year), but we'll be
in touch with our historically awesome community once we settle
on how we want to pursue that. Yes, we have a paypal account,
but we can't keep a balance on that account unless we link it
to a bank account, and we don't want to do that because of
potential tax liability to whomever's account gets linked. We
could transfer the balance to someone else's paypal account,
but then the tax liability question is still there, plus
there is then the very real possibility of accidentally
spending money from paypal balance instead of linked bank account
on personal transactions.  Long story short, we'll figure out
a way forward on that and follow up soon.

Sorry for the temporary downtime but thanks for your support!

-RW