[Slackbuilds-users] SBo service migration #1 complete

Erik Hanson erik at slackbuilds.org
Fri Jul 3 16:20:31 UTC 2020

On 7/3/20 7:02 AM, Marek Wodzinski wrote:
> Have you thought about splitting services and migrate them to some
> hosted solutions?
>
> For example git to Github or Gitlab, DNS to some free providers as
> dns.he.net, wiki to some inexpensive hosting or even migrate to
> readthedocs.org or Github pages?
> I know that build machine, rsync and probably main site would be still
> main issue and I don't know numbers such as requests, i/o, cpu or
> monthly traffic, but maybe there is also some solution for it (like spin
> up one AWS instance to test build something and then kill it, or use
> some CI/CD solution)?
> Splitting would also help to find friendly hosting/sponsor for other
> parts of site, like rsync could be handled by some of many Slackware
> mirrors.
>
> $1500 is a real money and I believe that it would be better to get rid
> of these costs instead of worrying every year about paying it.

To clarify, it's around $130 per month. Not a yearly lump sum.

On average, the website moves around 55GB/mo, ~530k pages/mo, the git
server around 42GB/mo, ftp around 32GB/mo, and our Slackware mirror
around 268GB/mo. DNS and email hosting are not affected by this move.

Things are fairly interconnected just due to the way we've grown over
the past 14 years. Splitting things out to other services would probably
require a ground-up rebuild and I'm not convinced we would save any
money in the end.

At our new home, the hardware remains ours so things like I/O, CPU time,
disk space, etc. are not a concern. No unpredictable AWS bills. We also
have plenty of bandwidth. I believe this move is the right decision.

--
Erik

Also, I would sooner shutter the project than migrate to Github.