[Slackbuilds-users] Protobuf3

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 23:21:57 UTC 2020

On 7/6/20, Andrew Conway <nalumc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, that hadn't crossed my mind but I think that's my best option.

Without having actually looked at protobuf much...

...one solution would be to leave the regular protobuf (2.x) as-is,
and have protobuf3 install itself to /opt/protobuf3. Then modify
all the builds that depend on protobuf3, to have them look in /opt/
protobuf3 instead of /usr.

How you'd have to modify them depends on what they use for a build
system and how that's written, e.g. if they use autotools and
pkg-config, it might be enough to add:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/protobuf3/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/pkg-conf:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

...to each SlackBuild that requires protobuf3. Some stuff you'd
probably have to export LDFLAGS and CFLAGS with the correct paths.

Doing it this way, you'd still *have* a protobuf3 package that other
builds could depend on. The other alternative would be for each build
to build its own static protobuf3 and link with that, I guess.