[Slackbuilds-users] Converting other packages to .tgz

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 17:50:21 UTC 2020

On 6/1/20, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> I'm curious because core slackware provides a great utility, rpm2tgz, but
> not one for .deb packages. Yet, a number of SBo packages download a .deb
> and
> convert it to .tgz for installation. Why the difference(s)?

Maybe because converting a .deb to a .tgz is just about a one-liner
in shell script? It used to just be:

ar p filename.deb data.tar.gz > filename.tgz

Though in recent years .deb packages sometimes have .data.tar.xz, so
you need a little logic to decide whether it's .xz or .gz.

I found an old script I wrote to do the job a while back, if
you can think of a use for it:

http://urchlay.naptime.net/repos/misc-scripts/plain/deb2tgz

Another reason might just be that Pat never needed a deb2tgz in
the early days of Slackware. rpm2tgz dates back to 1997...