[Slackbuilds-users] dbeaver-ce not finding jre

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 19 18:11:59 UTC 2020

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020, B Watson wrote:

> The 1st location, /opt/dbeaver-ce/jre/bin/java, would be for a
> 'standalone' package of dbeaver-ce that includes its own private JRE,
> which the SBo package doesn't do.

B.

Yet that's apparently where it went looking for the JRE.

> The 2nd location it searched was "java in your current PATH", which should
> have worked. You can test for it by just typing "java" at the shell
> prompt. If you get "command not found", then your PATH is incorrect. If
> you get the usage message for java (showing its command line options),
> your PATH is OK.

The path was incorrect. The second location is exported from
~/.bash_profile:
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib64/jvm/bin/java

Might the exported name be incorrect?

I also added to ~/.bash_profile this line:
JAVAPATH=$HOME:/usr/lib64/jvm/bin/java:$PATH

> If you know your PATH is OK, but dbeaver-ce still complains that it can't
> find java, then and only then is there an actual issue with dbeaver-ce.

Perhaps.

> Are you logging out and back in, after installing openjdk (or any of the
> various java VM packages)? They all add a script to set PATH
> appropriately, in /etc/profile.d, and you have to either log out and back
> in, or find the name of the script and manually source it.

Each day I log in to the workstation in the morning and log out in the
evening so my first attempts to run dbeaver-ce were in a fresh login.

After upgrading openjdk from 7.0.4 to 7.1.0 I did logout/login. Still the
same message from dbeaver-ce:
"A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK)
must be available in order to run Dbeaver. No Java virtual machine
was found after searching the following locations:
/opt/dbeaver-ce/jre/bin/java
java in your current PATH"

Thanks,

Rich